Tuesday 21 September 2010

Why you should have a plan 'B'!

Starting Bank: £183.15

Daily Target (2.5%): £4.58

Another salutary lesson for some people last night. I wasn't personally affected by all the drama, but some people failed to maximise a trade through no fault of their own.

I had a long trip down to Wales yesterday and was quite late getting back thanks to the glorious M25! The only match still to go in-play on the coupon was Deportivo v Getafe. A quick summary of the form led me to conclude this was begging for the old 1-1 1-2 2-1 strategy to be implemented. I quickly secured a couple of ticks on 0-0 to take that score out of the equation and backed those three scores. After about 20 minutes I added a small back of 2-2 to the mix as well.

Getafe took the lead just before half time and I laid some of the 1-1 off. I decided to give it a few minutes into the second half before deciding on whether and how to cover 2-0, but this proved unnecessary as Depo scored from a penalty to make it 1-1 - I was able to green up for an overall profit of £13.97 after commission.

However, loads of people in the chatroom hadn't completely greened - and Depo took a 2-1 lead. Then, for lots of people, there was a nervous 20 minutes or so when Betfair failed to un-suspend the markets! One guy, Handy Andy (check his blog for his take on it here) had a load sitting on 2-1 and a fair amount on 2-2 - but he was unable to take a green position! He was far from alone, but he did suffer! When the market was eventually turned back in play the score was 2-2 and loads had missed out on a potential massive greening opportunity on 2-1! In my pre-disciplined days I'd have been one of them, but (mind the halo doesn't slip!!!) I was sitting as an interested spectator whilst people were going berserk all around me!

There are two things at least to be taken from this episode. The first, and this is an old motor trade saying, is 'your first profit is your best profit' - in other words take the green as soon as you can. Secondly, have a Plan B - be it Betdaq, Bet365, Betwin or whatever but have a means of covering yourself if Betfair have problems because one thing you be assured of is that Betfair will be as much use to you as a chocolate teapot when it goes wrong their end!

Day's Profit: £13.97

Bank to carry forward: £197.12

No comments:

Post a Comment