Monday 13 September 2010

Any Excel experts reading please?

The spreadsheet I'm using to track this endeavour has an annoying anomaly, and I can't figure out how to work around it:

The column entitled Goal Target calculates the next day's target for me. The two cells Sum and Average at the top calculate those two sums - what I need is a way of doing that WITHOUT counting the bottom cell - as that is obviously a matter for tomorrow and not today! I've mucked about with Offset, CountA and all kinds of other formulae and it's doing my head in! I'm sure I could come up with a VBA function to do it but that seems like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer! Any help gratefully received...

7 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Maybe if you showed your formulae it would help
    at a glance would think that an if formula would help.

    Rgds

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair comment - at the moment it's simply Sum(a5:a150) or whatever. I've tried SUM(A5:COUNT(A5:A150)-1) - throws an error - and loads of others... there must be a way of finding the bottom cell of a range and moving up one or x cells but I can't figure it out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gun,
    since the cell, next to the cell which value you don't want to include in calculation, is always empty, you can use the following (assuming your data is in columns A and B):
    1. For Sum =SUMIF(B1:B150;">0";A1:A150)
    2. For Avg =SUMIF(B1:B150;">0";A1:A150)/COUNT(B1:B150)
    See you in the room.
    Cheers,
    Samo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samo, you are a star - what a simple, elegant solution! It would seem I was somewhat over-complicating things - as usual! Many thanks - played around with sumif and countif as well...... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. ยูฟ่า800

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. สมัครเว็บบอลออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  7. on your|somebody who actually|the most effective|it is best to|simply would like to|actually answered my problem|There are some interesting แทงบอลauto

    ReplyDelete