Wednesday 31 August 2011

I wonder where all the money has gone....

I'm fairly sure it's not just my imagination but there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the liquidity in the football markets (outside the big games) compared to last season. I don't remember it being a drama getting my scatter gun stakes matched in even the most obscure matches before kick off. Often this season I've seen markets with less than £300 matched with only minutes to kick off. Here is a screenshot from tonight's must trade Columbian tie between Deportivo Cali and Once Caldas. With 6 and a bit minutes to kick off only £600 matched. I appreciate this isn't a Manchester derby, and with a 9.30 BST kick off it might be late for some to trade - but, really, where is all the money?


If I remember I'll screenshot it at half time, but 1.01 it'll be less than 5k matched.

Is it the new 60% 'tax' Betfair are charging their big players? Has lots of liquidity moved to the PC free environs of Betdaq? Are there too many live games on the coupons diluting liquidity? Are Betfair or the big players no longer 'seeding' markets? Is it the same story on the nags? (No good asking me - I'd be just as well dropping £20 notes into the drain as trying to trade our four legged friends!).

It's not just pre match either. A chatroom colleague was bemoaning his fate in an English Championship match (I forget which, but a game you'd think would attract money) last Saturday afternoon, all the money apparently left the market at kick off and stayed out until 15 mins or so had gone by, leaving him with an unhealthy and inescapable position on 0-0!

Fortunately for me, trading scatter guns with £9 stakes rarely means liquidity is too much of an issue. If your trading comprises trades requiring more outlay, such as laying the draw for example, I think I'd be checking liquidity very carefully in all but the biggest games if I were you!

No comments:

Post a Comment