Tuesday 16 November 2010

Many moons ago, when I were a lad...

I used to watch my home town team, Dartford, play at the Watling Street ground. A typically proud small town team with a strong non-league tradition, able to attract some of the big stars of the game once their higher league careers were over. I remember watching Ian Hutchinson, a 1970's pre-cursor of Rory Delap hurl a ball deep into the opponents' penalty area from the touchline, even the great Derek Hales (for those of you who don't know - a prodigious goalscorer for Charlton in the '70's) is a former Dart.

One dank and cold winter's afternoon a friend and I watched Dartford entertain Plymouth Argyle in the 2nd Round of the FA Cup at Watling Street. My memory is hazy, but I know we lost 2-3 very late in the game, and Argyle went on to draw Manchester United at home in the 3rd round! What a game that would have been at little old Watling Street!

I won't bore you the trials and tribulations of my home club over the years - it's on the net if you really want to know..

Yet, guess what?? For the first time since I've been trading football little old Dartford FC have a game going in play this evening! Having drawn with Port Vale at home ten days ago in the First Round of the FA Cup, they're making the trek up to the potteries for the replay. Several of my friends are on a supporters' coach, doubtless supping a few beers, as I write!

I'm not suggesting anyone seriously wanting to trade a match tonight should get involved with this one - my suspicion is that they will get spanked! Yet, for old times' sake, I'm going to have a little dabble - I actually fancy them to take a shock lead and 0-1 at 40 has got to be worth a £2 punt!

Wish me luck....

5 comments:

  1. Well, it wasn't to be - 2-0 to Vale within 25 minutes.... mind you got a nice few ticks laying au for £50!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    I've blogrolled you on my site, any chance of a reciprocal?

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete