Sunday 18 September 2011

Trading is sometimes a question of hats

It's not that I have switched career from executive cars to millinery, but rather a question that you must make sure you are wearing the correct hat on before trading your own team! The hats in question today are the 'fan's hat' and the 'trader's hat'.

Manchester United at home to my team, Chelsea. I definitely entered this trade with the wrong hat on! Thinking that a poor Arsenal side flattered MU a couple of weeks ago and that their only match against strong opposition resulted in a hard fought draw during which they looked decidedly dodgy I carried full steam ahead with a Scatter Gun trade. To compound matters I laid U1.5 instead of U2.5 at 1-0 by mistake and got wiped out there by the second goal. Even then the old glasses definitely had a blue tint as I hung manfully on for a late 2-1. At 3-0 by half time the original trade was dead and buried and I only escaped with a modest profit because I took the 'tiger line' and laid Any Unquoted at about 1.3 for £100.

As an aside, laying the AU at 3-0 / 0-3 often pays off - I've said before I frequently do it and think it works for two reasons - first because it's a relatively low liability trade and one which I'm prepared to commit to for at least 30 minutes, secondly because I think most teams adopt a sort of 'job done' mentality at 3-0 and think the game is safe. I was fortunate in this match as Shrek missed a penalty! You won't catch me shedding any tears about that!

On a more positive note, I had my trader's hat on earlier in the day when I laid both Man City and Evian both of whom had two goal leads. Both games finished 2-2. It really is quite staggering how many 2 goal leads are let slip by teams these days.

I was of the opinion pre match that Fulham would test City, and thought at 1-0 and 1.24 that I was happy to oppose the sky blue Mancunians. My only regret was not doubling up on the trade when they went two ahead!

The situation with Evian was a bit different. They were playing Paris St Germain, who have spent the national debt of Brazil on new players this close season. Their two goal lead was not expected - and the odds reflected this fact. Depsite being at home they were 1.3 to oppose at the mid point of the first half time at 2-0. PSG got a goal just before half time, but rather than green it up there and then I decided to let the trade run until it was back to a scratch position and review it then. It was one of those bizarre games where for reasons best known to themselves Betfair suspended the market no fewer than TEN times before the equaliser went in.

No comments:

Post a Comment