Saturday 10 September 2011

Never mind fan money, please, let's have SOME money!

I've been trading football matches on Betfair for a few years now, and posted a while ago about poor liquidity in some late markets. Tonight's coupon features a classic Scatter Gun trade - Hadjuck Split v Dinamo Zagreb. Bursting with anticipation I hot footed it straight into the Correct Score market just after the game had started to be confronted by this:

Not a single penny matched. Zero, zip, nowt! And we are not talking a 2am BST kick off here either - a perfectly respectable 7 pm BST start on a Saturday night to boot.

Ironically I took a call from a Betfair customer service chap the other day asking how they could improve the site and or their service. His words to me were along the lines of 'we know there is a small problem with liquidity in one or two football markets' and that they are 'actively looking at ways to improve the situation'.

May that day come sooner rather than later on this evidence. I haven't looked but my suspicion is this isn't the first completely empty market and won't be the last. No wonder revenue and profits are down - I wanted to place just £9 or £10 into this market and couldn't.... poor show.

1 comment:

  1. Surely the way to improve the situation would be lessen the amount of games available "in-play" and therefore increase liquidity all round.

    We all like trading but I for one draw the line at Outer Mongolia U14 Girls Reserves League Cup 1st round nothern section.

    ReplyDelete