Wednesday 7 September 2011

Fan money - don't you just love it??

I am English, and although following the national team brings more than its fair share of heartache I love it when they win. I enjoy trading England matches much more than I do watching though! The reason? Loads of over optimistic patriotic money saturating the markets!

My suspicion is in truth that this money is around in games involving big clubs as well - ie Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U fans piling in on their teams (and loads of other teams I'm sure!). But with England games all those fans come together and lump on the national team thereby exaggerating the effect.

I had no doubt that England would win, and neither did the majority of traders and punters. But match odds in these games seldom offer much in the way of margin. But, at 1-0 after 35 minutes the Any Unquoted price was 4. Irresistible. That figure means that according to the market, with only 55 minutes roughly of football remaining, that England stood a 25% chance of getting three more goals (or, indeed, of Wales getting 4!). In my opinion that was way too optimistic so I laid AU for £25 with a liability of £75.

For a concise but insightful view on trading where the value lies, rather than on what you think is going to happen, have a look at Cassini's post about the match odds market in the same game.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on this one Gundulf and that is why I love taking on the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal when they travel away from home in the league as their prices are often a lot shorter than they should be due to "fan money" blindly backing Man Utd just because they are "Man Utd"

    I did this last season and the results can be found on my fav forum

    http://www.olbg.com/forum/topic31_32611.html

    This has prompted me to start looking at other leagues and was the reason behind the creation of my Blog.

    Regards
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes interesting reading, Neil, certainly as far as last season is concerned. I'll keep an eye on it for this season. Do you manually crawl through the coupons or have you automated it?

    Dave

    ReplyDelete