Saturday 26 January 2013

Is 'nothing' the same as 'anything'?

After a modestly successful trade on the first League Cup semi-final it all did go decidedly pearshaped with the second one! Having written that with respect to the Correct Score market in the Swansea v Chelsea match that 'anything could happen' I was bitterly disappointed by the 0-0 final score.

As a Chelsea man it obviously hurts to bow out of a competition with a whimper rather than a bang, and as a trader who has placed his position around the assumption of goals (and Chelsea goals, at least in part, to boot) a 0-0 is an unmitigated disaster.

Having read my post again once the immediate post match gloom had dispersed the clues were there really. Swansea thoroughly deserved their place in the final. I said that Laudrup had them well organised and he knew exactly how to play the match, and to be fair had I been slightly more 'neutral' during the game I would (should) have adjusted my position in light of the evidence before me.

Plenty has been written and said about the Hazard v ball boy incident but I can't be the only one who found the whole thing doubly bizarre. For a grown man to even think about kicking a ball out from under the prone body of a teenager is frankly untenable, and for that same youth to then go rolling around as it he was either a) Suarez's brother or b) recently shot by an anti aircraft gun just elevated the whole thing to the ridiculous in my mind.

Let's hope the FA Cup returns football in the UK to some semblance of normality this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment