Monday 23 January 2012

Manchester 2 London 0

Two very interesting Premier League matches yesterday. Man City v Spurs at lunchtime and Arsenal v United at 4 pm. Both matches were arguably 'six pointers' and so it was not unreasonable to expect close games.

Now I'm a Chelsea man, and although I like Spurs as a team and am a big admirer of Harry for all his faults,  the only time I'd ever actively support the Gooners is when they play United - so in my heart I wanted the above score line to read the other way round... but hey ho! From a football fan's perspective, tribal prejudices apart, it would have made for a much more interesting run-in had the London teams both won.

Of the two games, the City one looked a nailed on home win, whereas the Arsenal match had 'Scatter Gun' written all over it as far as I was concerned. Something convinced me to take the same approach with the City game - the absence of two crucial players being a deciding factor for me. Was I glad that I did! At 2-0 it looked dead in the water, but an uncharacteristically sloppy piece of defending and a world class goal brought first the 2-1 and then the 2-2 in for a nice green. This was further enhanced by laying 2-2 at low odds with a few minutes left on the clock. What a shame that Defoe couldn't quite stretch that extra foot or so, and that Super Mario got the winner.

Feeling suitably buoyed by that one the Arsenal game, by comparison, was a doddle of a trade - the goals coming almost exactly at the right times. Had the Gooners managed an equaliser my day would have been complete - as it was I had to suffer a return of over £150 from a total investment of about £25. I can live with that.

Continuing my occasional forays into other sports I thought I'd have a go at the NBA tonight - see if I can pick up a couple of these big swings I keep reading about. Wish me luck (for, I promise you, there will be little or no skill involved!).

No comments:

Post a Comment