Wednesday 25 January 2012

Don't be a plonker all your life, Rodney!

Had a successful trade in the Carling Cup Semi Final and did OK with the Napoli game tonight. Went to pick Gun Jr up from his part time job and settled back down to see Barca 2-0 up at about 60 minutes available to lay at 1.06. With little downside, a presumably apoplectic Mourinho and Real on the verge of yet another defeat at the hands of their rivals and their young manager I laid them for £200.

At 68 minutes the Winker made it 2-1 and, having achieved my initial goal of achieving decent odds movement, and doubting Madrid's ability to get a second, I took the green on offer - around £35. Sure enough Madrid equalised.

One of my usual trading maxims is not to look over my shoulder. If you leave a trade early and it goes in your (now 'ex') favour just smile inwardly and move on. Not tonight. The red mist descended, and, mad with myself for leaving  a small downside trade too early, I laid the draw. With about 15 minutes plus stoppages left, Madrid chasing a one goal deficit from the first leg, and Barca being Barca, there'd be another goal. Surely. So I took on a handsome £100 liability and gave myself lovely potential greens on a winning score.

It was then a case of watching the red slowly build up, and the draw price tumble. I even went in again at 1.2!!

Suffice it to say that the winning goal was conspicuous by its absence, and all the hard work on the evening's earlier trade and some was completely wiped out by this pointless and stupid trade. Talk about leave a winning trade too early and stay in a losing one too long - here it is - defined and in all its glory.

What a plonker!

5 comments:

  1. I hope you don't take the wrong way, but looking at posts like this is precisely the reason I like to read other people's blogs.

    Why I say this is because each and everyone one of us has done something similar to your experience tonight. And while it may be small comfort to you, it does help the rest of us, giving us a timely reminder that we're not the only ones letting our emotions get the better of us.

    So I would say thanks for posting this. It will make me feel less hard on myself when I next do the same thing again.

    Cheers
    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gun,

    I did something very similar last night. Layed Djokovic at 1.09, failed to take a green of £50, hung on in for more and then allowed the trade to reverse, refusing to take £30, £20, £10...........

    I've done similar to you in the past, trying to recoup that green but thankfully, I've moved on from those days. I'm sure you will too one day, just have to learn from this mistake. At least you took the initial green - that's something I need to work on.

    The plus points are, great bit of trading, great value-seeking and great greening up. Now just try not to be so greedy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eddie, Sultan - thanks for the comments guys. I guess the point is that I thought I HAD moved on. It's obviously still a Work In Progress though! First time for a long time, and hopefully the last. There's nothing as cathartic as a public post in these modern times - think of it as my hair shirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi mate

    Superb blog which I found after you had been recomended over at Sultans! He obviosuly doesnt like mine but I do and if you do as well would be appreciated if you could add a link to your blog roll? (I've added you to mine)

    I've got an interview with Hugh Taylor (the main tipster from ATR) on it at the moment.

    My blog is at http://www.fulltimebettingblog.com/

    Cheers

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  5. A man of considerable good taste, is Sultan, Geoff. As am I, 'cos if you look your blog is on my blogroll (and has been for some time):-)

    ReplyDelete