Tuesday 27 December 2011

"If you can't be on time, be early"

Having had the financial possibilities of NFL opened up to me by Cassini and others as a result of the recent discussion about finding value I found myself reflecting on some events from my past.

Before I joined the motor trade in 1993 I worked as a self employed representative for Encyclopaedia Britannica, selling books to the general public in their own homes and at exhibitions large and small. The MD was a highly motivational American chap, Joe D Adams, and I was fortunate enough to attend a Sales Management course he hosted. Like most successful men Joe used the ideas and thoughts of others that he'd come across in his experience, and chief among them was one Vince Lombardi, former head coach of the Green Bay Packers. He took the Packers from the edge of despair to the Superbowl, and his management techniques and life philosophies are now the stuff of legend.

The title of this post is a pretty accurate interpretation of what has become known as 'Lombardi Time' - the idea being that if you turned up for an 8 o'clock start at 7.45 you had a massive edge on the man who turned up with seconds to spare. There's that word, 'edge', again!

As with most things in life, success in trading football or other sports is much more about attitude and mindset than it is about ability, it struck me that Mr Lombardi's thoughts and sayings might be of interest to people grappling with discipline and other issues about their trading. Google 'Lombardi Quotes' - you'll find some real nuggets there - I personally had three 'cap fits' moments.

Here, in my humble opinion, is a great one with which to close:


Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment