Tuesday 29 November 2011

Think I'm going to try going purple.

Yet another loss (small but annoying and completely unnecessary) due to Betfair suspending an in-play  game.

I've never really understood why they have to 'manage' football markets anyway. They don't suspend cricket after a wicket, rugby after a try or x-factor after (another) useless act. So why  do they have to suspend football after a goal, red card or the merest hint of the side netting bulging / ref scratching his backside?

If they must 'manage' it - then please can they do so? Not just leave people unnecessarily out on a limb.

The game in question featured those two giants of world football, Nacional Asuncion and Tacuary in Paraguay. The match was 1-1 after 8 minutes - crying out for a little lay of u2.5. Now I appreciate that is a risky trade to enter, but it's something I frequently do and look to exit after 10-15 minutes. Getting close to my exit point, the game was suspended. I shrugged my shoulders and flicked between GT and Flashscores to see who had scored and, to my considerable annoyance, it became clear that I'd been locked out of a profitable trade yet again by this company who supposedly put customer service and satisfaction at the top of their priorities. Right.

Needless to say the third goal came just before half time. And, immediately afterwards, as if by magic, the rest of the markets related to the game re-opened.

Let me make one thing clear. I am not annoyed about losing money on this trade. I'd laid O2.5 at 1.1 for £100 so it was only a tenner, and anyone daft enough to lay O2.5 at 1-1 after less than ten minutes is leading with the chin! What I am annoyed about is that I was denied the opportunity NOT to have lost that tenner, or even some of it, and to have made a nice return on it. And for what reason? Almost certainly because they 'lost' their data feed. Flashscores didn't. Livescores didn't. But Betfair did. Great.

The latest edition of Geeks Toy facilitates trading on Betdaq I believe. I am going to explore this. People will undoubtedly tell me there is no liquidity and not as much choice over there. I am open minded about that at the moment (I've even got a sneaking suspicion that there might be the odd couple of hundred quid sitting in my account - really MUST try to remember my password!). As most of the trading I do involves a maximum exposure of £20 or so I'm not too concerned about the possible lack of liquidity, but if Betfair continue to cheese their customers off as they've been doing for  a couple of years now, perhaps that situation will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment