Saturday 12 November 2011

What a glorious thing INDIRECTion can be....

Having come up with what I thought was a reasonably accomplished yet simple to use spreadsheet to record a month's trades on I sat down during the enforced boredom of the International Break to force myself to write a Year to Date sheet on which to record the twelve months of the calendar year. At the outset I considered how best to do this and ended up drawing up two sheets - one for analysis of the financial side of trading, the second compiling a (hopefully) useful set of basic match and trade statistics.

Then I began the tedious task of typing the formulae.... =Jan!C10 ... =Feb!C10....=MarC10... which, with over 200 formulae to be entered, soon became too much for my incredibly feeble attention span when faced with tasks like this. Thinking there must be an easier way - and voila! - the INDIRECT function offered exactly what I sought. The syntax, however, was as clear as mud and there were several bouts of good old fashioned Anglo Saxon oath muttering before I came up with this:


...and then this:


The data is a bit sparse at the moment, but I will return to these two sheets as time goes by to see what, if anything, detailed analysis can bring to bear on my trading the Correct Score, Match Odds and Goals markets.

1 comment: