Wednesday 5 January 2011

Late home, so a quiet night in...

... front of the lappy!

I didn't get home until gone 7.30 tonight - too late to set any decent sized trades up properly by the time I'd had dinner and booted up the pc. A 20 minute lay of Manchester United in the Half Time market enabled me to make a £15 green book - they scored minutes later - timing is everything in this business! A couple of successful Scatter Guns (1-1 2-1 1-2) and a couple of losses meant a profit for the evening of £33.12 after commission. I'm reasonably happy with that - the trend is good!

I laid the draw in the Test Match the other night at 2.62. Because of the time delay and having to get up for work I can't really trade it effectively. Watching the market last night I could (should??) have greened up at about 7 after the eighth Aussie wicket fell...however I managed to convince myself that our bowlers would skittle the last two wickets down in short order, so, being a greedy so and so I put up a greening bet at 8.6! I should have known better - a decent partnership added another 90 odd runs to the Aussie total and there was a minor English batting collapse...so, for now anyway, the moment has passed!

Why do I do it? I'm nearer fifty than I am forty and although I wouldn't say I'm knowledgeable about cricket I think I've seen enough decent Aussie last wicket or two stands and English batting collapses over the years to know better.

I can green up now at 4.1 as I write this, with England nudging their way into 210 - 4.... but I think I'll delay a decision until tomorrow night when I'll either get out for what I can or it will have swung the other way and I'll be quids in front. I've only got £50 exposed to this trade, so it's not a massive issue, but then I don't wish to be reckless either. I do remember reading somewhere that no-one ever went to the poor house by laying the draw in a five day test...we shall see.

1 comment: