Monday 1 October 2012

How much did Tiger cost people last night, I wonder?

In about 6 or 7 scintillating hours of golf, which resulted in the USA snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, the Winner's market in the Ryder Cup was an interesting spectacle. The USA went as low as 1.08 - before a any of the twelve singles matches had been closed out! Ridiculous. The Tie, a rare, almost impossibly rare, event traded as low as 1.17. At 13-13 the market resembled what I am more used to looking at before the start of a very close football match, with all three outcomes priced around the three mark. Close to £20,000,000 had been matched in just that market.

When Kaymer sank that put on the 18th green to retain the Ryder Cup a Tie was very much the most likely result. The final pair, Woods and Molinari, were on the fairway and Woods was 1 up.. so unless he lost the hole the Americans would tie the contest.

I'm sure I'm not alone in being stunned when he missed a putt you'd normally put your house on him making, and then in a display of great sportsmanship (I think...) he conceded both the hole, and, effectively, the Tie. Interviewed afterwards he said:

"To be honest I didn't really pay that much attention…after that all went down, my putt was useless. It was inconsequential. So I hit it too quick and gave him his putt and it was already over,"

The 'inconsequential' putt did have some consequences for some of Britain's biggest bookies, however...


Ladbrokes admitted Tiger's actions cost them £650,000 while Coral took a hit for £400,000. Sky Bet were another company that lost big.
"No one bets on a tie. It cost us just over £650,000 last night on Tiger's miss. Tiger is not a bookie's friend this morning," a Ladbrokes spokesperson told the Daily Mail. 
I'm sure not too many people reading this will be crying in their beer for the bookies, but I'd be very surprised if there aren't a good number of people who'd backed the Tie into nearly single figures nursing severe intentions of causing Tiger irreparable personal injury this morning.

In Tiger's defence the event was, indeed, already over and done with. The Europeans were celebrating and it's not hard to imagine how deflated he must have felt, probably emotionally drained and in need of a pint. That's how I feel trudging off the 18th having lost on the 17th, and I for one will forgive him for not concentrating on the putt in the way he would if were a putt to win the Masters.

4 comments:

  1. Didn't trade the closing stages myself. Just watched it all unfold as a spectator. Amazing scenes. Personally, I think Woods acted petulantly, but by that stage I- like him - didn't really care.

    Fantastic entertainment though. Hope u made a bundle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inclined to agree there was a touch of petulance to Woods' action, and I suppose the Tie meant little as the Cup had passed out of reach.... punishment for the earlier showboating perchance? And I did OK thanks :-)

      Delete
  2. Never have I traded a market that dished up so much value over what was a 3-4 hour period. It was a bit like witnessing a horrific accident, totally surreal in the moment but it's only after the event you realise how crazy it really was.

    Even in the closing stages, US's price bounced from 50s into 8s. And just before Woods took his final (missed) putt Europe's price drifted out beyond 10s.

    I have to say I was absolutely buzzing - both from the sport and the trading and sleep did not come easily last night! Incredible evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, Matt! If only the soccer markets were as volatile!

      Delete