Monday 17 September 2012

Coulda, woulda, shoulda

In my post about low liability laying I wrote that a seemingly suicidal looking trade that I often do is to lay a team who are two goals to the good and heavily odds on. A seemingly fairly non-descript Serie B match between Varese and Bari was 0-0 at half time so I set a second half scatter gun up. Me being me I was trying to be a bit greedy with the odds on 2-0 and hadn't been matched when Varese went 1-0 up. At that point 2-0 was a wipeout but as we were only talking a few quid I let it go. The screenshot below sort of tells the story of a frenetic last 10 minutes or so.


I made a handsome 3 figure green on the game as I had taken 2-2 at 55 for a couple of quid at half time. But, for reasons that I can't explain, I failed to lay Varese in the 83rd minute at 2-0. Didn't even look at the price but if I were a betting man I'd say sub 1.1.

It just goes to show how a seemingly invincible lead can be extremely fragile, and how at the sort of odds we'd have been talking about so few of these lays need to come in for the technique to pay overall.

P.S. I really must find a decent online Thesaurus or dig around in the depths of my memory banks to English 'O' Level days. It seems I've used the word 'seemingly' three times in as many paragraphs. Any alternatives please feel free to suggest them!

6 comments:

  1. Try these Dave doubtless, doubtlessly, incontestably, incontrovertibly, indisputably, it seems, it would seem, manifestly, obviously, officially, ostensibly, outwardly, patently, plainly, professedly, seemingly , to all appearances, undoubtedly, unmistakably, without question

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey, I was going to look at a Thesaurus, not swallow one! But some first rate options there, thanks, whoever you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dave, just thought Id say keep up the good work mate, will be keeping an eye on your blog - am currently trying to find my way around betfair's in-play after getting my account limited at bet365 so ill be keeping an eye out for any more pearls of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then I wish you all the very best, hopefully you will come across the odd nugget here and elsewhere in blogland to assist you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave, seen u about, mainly on tradinag football. I live a stones throw from blue water so let me have ur email and maybe I could pick ur brains over a pint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure Ian, pm me in chat and we'll swop mobiles or mail addys

    ReplyDelete