Monday 14 May 2012

The benefits of being a full time trader..

..have been discussed here and elsewhere before. But, had I been a full time trader, I wouldn't have been working yesterday afternoon. I would have been filling my boots in what must have been an extremely volatile set of markets around the games involving City, United and Bolton. Many a shirt must have been won and lost. I said to colleagues as I was hunting unsuccessfully for a wifi signal on my mobile to lay City at 1-0, I had a feeling that QPR had a role to play in both the game itself and the title. Little did I imagine how big a part they would play, and for how long they would hold centre stage.

Driving home listening to 5 Live's commentary was an exciting experience. With the score at 1-1 and City pressing heavily, Mrs Gun phoned, and the bluetooth in the car obviously muted the radio. She was dispatched as quickly and humanely as possible, but it still took fully five minutes further listening for the penny to drop that QPR had nicked a second whilst she was asking me to get some milk on the way home!

What a strange feeling it evoked in me. It really didn't bother me, or so I thought, who won the league because as far as I was concerned the wrong team would win whichever it was! I had no money at risk, having greened my United lay at 8.8 some time previously. But, as the game went on, I really started getting quite upset at the thought of Fergie's bloody face on the TV condescendingly telling us all how much United had deserved the crown! I thought it most unfair on City, despite the obvious shortcomings in their team and dressing room - the Tevez and Ballatelli sagas among others. In short I became a temporary Sky Blue, and punched the air in delight as they nicked it from United just as the fat lady's warbling was becoming audible.

Let's hope next season's Premiership contest is as compelling as this one was, and that a team in darker blue are lifting the trophy high in 12 months time. To put it next to the Champions League trophy in the cabinet.

Surely I'm allowed to dream, at my age!

In case you were wondering, I forget the f'g milk after all that as well!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, I took advantage of laying city in the winners market @1.06 and backed them at 1.5, made some but not loads, something to build on for next season though, great blog as ever.

    ReplyDelete