Friday 29 April 2011

Sometimes you just call it wrong, but can still come out smiling

Did a Scatter Gun last night in a Copa Libertadores match involving Penarol and Internacionale. For those who don't know much about Latin American football, the matches tend to start late (UK time 11pm to 1am!) and the quality of the football is perhaps not what we're used to in the major European league and cup fixtures. The games can be frenetic and pacy, but too often the quality of passing, shooting and crossing is poor. They do, however, usually produce goals so make ideal trading material.

As this game started at 11.30 I was able to secure £11 on under 1.5 goals before kick off, thus eliminating 0-0 and 1-0 or 0-1 from my trade. I backed 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1 in the usual way at kick off and added 2-2 in play at about the half hour mark whilst the game was still 0-0. The screenshot below shows my position about 10 minutes in...


Penarol opened the scoring at 37 minutes, and although they were the home side they were also slightly the underdogs so this suited the trade quite nicely. I immediately sought, and got, some green on U2.5 goals so now the danger score of 2-0 was also covered nicely. My correct score market at half time is shown below..


As can be seen I could have taken a small green from the trade at this point and gone to bed! But you've got to read the market, and in this case the market obviously fancies 1-1 more than 2-0 so it's worthwhile staying in for a while.

The early stages of the second half were all Inter, and just as I was thinking of putting a small back on 2-0 to cover a breakaway goal by Penarol the equaliser came - and the score central to a successful SG - 1-1 - was attained! At this stage my U1.5 trade was toast, and obviously the odds on U2.5 shot out as well. Remember I had 2-2 covered so was quite relaxed about the Correct Score element of the trade - the only real danger was two very quick goals taking it to 1-3 or 3-1. I decided on the evidence of the game so far that a winning goal was likely, and so laid my 1-1 stake of £5 off that score, leaving me in the position shown below.


The more I watched the more convinced I became that another goal was coming, so I took the decision to green my U2.5 position for about 3 quid and to green 1-1 completely to leave a nice result on both 1-2 and 2-1. Of course you can guess what happened - the bloody game ended 1-1! In my infinite wisdom I'd managed to turn a £27 result on 1-1 and a £12 green on U2.5 into £11 and £3 respectively....

Looking back on it I would have been better placed to have let one of those trades stand - and if I had my time again I'd have left 1-1 alone and greened the 2.5 as that one was dead with one more goal whereas I'd still have been looking good at 1-2 or 2-1 especially with an unmolested £70  on 2-2!

My final position on Correct Score is shown below:



I'm happy that I played a reasonable trade here and although I unnecessarily gave away a lot of profit to some rather lucky backers I managed to turn an £11 stake into an £11 profit - 100% return - try getting that from a building society in a year, never mind a couple of hours! The £3 from the goals markets sweetened the situation somewhat, especially when the very most I ever had exposed in play was the £50 I scalped U2.5 with for about 5 minutes and the original £11 stakes (most of which was covered most of the time!).

7 comments:

  1. Fair play in the fact that 100% is a good return, you will always kick yourself when you could have won more, these things happen I suppose.

    Do you mind me asking, when you back 0-0,1-0,0-1 as well, do you just cover your bet on 0-0 or do you generally go for a profit on it?

    More so with 1-0, 0-1? The only reason I ask is because of the shorter prices, doesn't backing them all neutralise a lot of the profits?

    I do agree with you that the Copa does produce goals, I sometimes have a look at it on Wednesday's, but you do have to do your homework with the 2nd legs with regard to if the tie is all but over because of the 1st leg score.

    It's not as obvious as the champions league, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't actually cover the lower scores - I simply try to get my stake covered on U1.5 - backing and laying at the same stakes and I will usually either do this pre-match or scalp the first few minutes (which can get a tad hairy!). This means i get a scratch trade (unless I lay off some other stakes) if the match ends 0-0 1-0 or 0-1.

    The point I made in my post about this game was that 2-0 was a 'danger' score - but was trading relatively high so covering it would have taken about £2.5 from my potential profit and would have left the 2-1 and 2-2 to trade with...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to know the SATO is still going strong kidder. Excellent write up as usual gun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. red!! where have you been, mate? SATO not the same without your wit and repartee.....

    For the uninitiated SATO = South American Trading Organisation....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reply gundulf, I suppose that makes sense to do it that way.

    I often do the 2-1, 1-2 spread as well, but can get tempted on the 3-2, 2-3 because of the large price, rather than worrying about covering my stake.

    I know, guilty as charged!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey fella. Would like to think I will be back in the trading rooms at some point. Have had a few unexpected expenses of late and have to put the trading on a back burner.

    I have started a blog which is helping my discipline and just using small stakes till I find my feet. Would be cool if you could check it out and tell me what you think.

    http://red-to-green-machine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's no such thing as a guaranteed trade FG - but I know this Scatter Gun works more often than not if used on the right games. I know the attraction of higher odds.... but they are higher for a reason!

    Resisting temptation and taking the right decision at the right time (even when sometimes it is the wrong decision - if that makes sense!) is the hardest part of trading and I am consistently improving this aspect of my trading...

    ReplyDelete