Wednesday 1 December 2010

Stuck in the snow - but had a nice touch anyway!

My journey home from work is six miles, door to door. I left work at 6pm last evening, and walked indoors at 11.15 pm! The QEII bridge over the M25 was, to put it mildly, more exciting than I'd have liked! The upslope was littered with stuck lorries, so cars, vans and other lorries were having to weave in and out all the time. Those lorries that made it over the crest were obviously  struggling for grip on the downslope - I watched one French lorry literally slide for about 50 feet with all twenty odd wheels locked solid!

Having phoned a lot of people I hadn't spoken to for a while the time reached 7.45 so it was time to tune into 5 Live for the West Ham match. I had speculatively placed a back bet on AU at 6.25 the previous evening, expecting to make a few ticks prior to kick off - unfortunately only for £10! You can imagine my delight, and surprise, as West Ham duly knocked Man U out of the cup with a resounding 4-0 home victory! Well done The Irons!

I couldn't help wondering how I would have traded that score had I been home in time (I haven't got a fancy mobile to trade with - a mobile phone is for arranging a time to meet in the pub or on the golf course in my opinion!). Would I have let it run at 2-0 - I very much doubt it... every sensible nerve junction in my brain would have been screaming 'United will pull it back....' and I would have traded out of the position.

So a big thank you to the snow and to Britain's total lack of ability to deal with it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gun ,

    Glad that the weather helped you out especially as Monday night was not great. Think you were on the Leicester game the same as me and there isn't much you can do with 1-0's. Just wondered what you generally do when it hits 1-0 , do you green any of your 1-1 or hold fire waiting for 1-1 ? Sometimes i tend to trade a little 1-1 off and put it on 2-0 but would love to hear what you do.

    Big Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BD! Yep - normally I would try to remove my 1-1 stake at the very least at 1-0 / 0-1. I did trade Leicester / Forest and had backed 0-0 from the start as I had one of 'those' feelings... Fortunately I greened 0-0 about five minutes before the goal, and as my exposure was only a fiver I decided to let the trade run and rely on an equaliser from Forest... alas, not to be! As I recall the market told me I was being stupid - the 1-1 price didn't rally come in at all after the goal - I should have heeded it!

    ReplyDelete