Sunday 28 July 2013

One 'Gotcha' that didn't get me!

Not through any particular skill of mine, before you start wondering!

I put a dutched trade together on the Canadian Open, and one of those I backed was Hunter Mahan. I did so on the back of his impressive play in The Open, and by the close of play on the second day he had a good lead. In fact, his lead was so good that he was available to lay at 2.6, which enabled me to take a useful £32 green screen into the final two rounds.

I got in from work on Saturday night, intending to trade the tournament in play, and Hunter was in my sights as a potential lay to back trade. I scanned the market and couldn't see him anywhere near the top. Eventually I spied him right down at the bottom trading at 1000!

Had he swallowed a putter? Been assaulted by a grizzly bear? Had the Mounties 'Got their man'? No - his wife had gone into labour and he'd hauled himself off the golf course to be present at her bedside!

I've got to feel sorry for any more diligent golf traders than I. Those people put the hours in looking at form, greens in regulation, driving accuracy and analyse a player's strengths and weaknesses relative to the type and layout of the course being played.

I just hope they also knew his wife was pregnant and was  about to drop!

No comments:

Post a Comment