Friday 9 November 2012

A word of caution....

... from someone who should know better.

I made a painful mistake in a game during the 2010 World Cup. Trying to get matched on a particular price for U2.5 goals I allowed a £100 stake to go in-play with the 'Keep In Play' facility checked. The match started, I got distracted, and it got forgotton. About 15 minutes in there was a goal, and some lucky layer was able to gobble up my stake as it sat there waiting for the market to reform. Needless to say by the time I had realised what had happened there'd been another goal, so I really was upside down on the trade! A third goal in quick order killed me off completely.

They say it's not the mark of a foolish man to make a mistake. However, it IS the mark of a foolish man to make the same mistake again.

So s**t for brains left an unmatched half time lay of Leverkusen in the market with 'Keep In Play' checked yesterday evening. They scored after about 3 minutes and 1-0 it stayed. As it happens my intended trade would have failed had the bet been matched in any case, but that's not the point!

So, my advice is to use 'Keep In Play' with caution, and the second a market turns in-play cancel the 'Keep'!

5 comments:

  1. Man up Gun, your talking pennies here..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done something similar - and it's strange how the match never seems to go in one's favour in those circumstances.

    Bad luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent a good while reading this site yesterday. Today I had a bet on unders for Bradford-Northampton (1-1 til goals on 90 and 93 made it 2-2), but didn't feel comfortable in the last few minutes.

    So I traded out of it and did what I learnt from your scattergun posts - backed the most likely scores except for the current one. Here's what happened: https://twitter.com/Sunth/status/268468892370870273

    Thanks Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to have been of service!

    ReplyDelete